General Research Interests
I am broadly interested in issues related to interest groups, gender and politics, intersectionality and political representation. My Google Scholar page can be accessed here.
- LaPira, Tim, Kathleen Marchetti and Herschel Thomas. Forthcoming. "Gender Politics in the Lobbying Profession." Politics & Gender. [PDF]
- Marchetti, Kathleen. 2019. "Intersectional advocacy and policymaking across U.S. States." Olena Hankivsky and Julia Jordan-Zachery, eds. The Palgrave Handbook of Intersectionality in Public Policy. Palgrave-Macmillan Press. [PDF]
- Marchetti, Kathleen and David O'Connell. 2018. "Catholic Politicians and the Politics of Abortion Position Taking." Politics and Religion, Vol. 11 (2): 281 - 308. [PDF]
- Bagozzi, Benjamin E. and Kathleen Marchetti. 2017. "Distinguishing Occasional Abstention from Routine Indifference in Models of Vote Choice." Political Science Research and Methods, Vol. 5 (2): 277-294. [PDF]
- Marchetti, Kathleen. 2015. "Consider the Context: How State Policy Environments Shape Interest Group Advocacy." State and Local Government Review, Vol. 47 (3): 155-169. [PDF] - Media coverage: "How interest group advocacy is shaped by state policy environments" (London School of Economics USAPP)
- Marchetti, Kathleen. 2015. "The Use of Surveys in Interest Group Research." Interest Groups & Advocacy, Vol. 4 (3): 272-282 [PDF]
- Hojnacki, Marie; Kathleen Marchetti; Frank Baumgartner; Jeffrey Berry; David Kimball; and Beth Leech. 2015. "Assessing Business Advantage in Washington Lobbying." Interest Groups & Advocacy, Vol. 4 (3): 205-224. [PDF] Media coverage: "How Influential is Business in Washington?" (The Hill); "Business doesn't always get its way" (Washington Post Monkey Cage Blog)
- Baumann, Zachary, Kathleen Marchetti, and Benjamin Soltoff. 2015. "What's the Payoff? Assessing the Efficacy of Student Response Systems." Journal of Political Science Education, Vol. 11 (3): 249-263. [PDF]
- Marchetti, Kathleen. 2014. "Crossing The Intersection: The Representation Of Disadvantaged Identities In Advocacy." Politics, Groups, And Identities, Vol. 2 (1): 104-119. [PDF]
- Marchetti, Kathleen. 2014. "Mission Statement: Militarized Discourses In Women's Advocacy Organizations." Gender, Place & Culture, Vol. 21 (1): 87-104. [PDF]
- Lowery, David And Kathleen Marchetti. 2012. "You Don't Know Jack: Principals, Agents, And Lobbying." Interest Groups & Advocacy, Vol. 1 (2): 139-170. [PDF]
Non-Peer Reviewed Publications
- Marchetti, Kathleen. 2018. Review of The Governors' Lobbyists: Federal-State Relations Offices and Governors Associations in Washington By Jennifer M. Jensen. Perspectives on Politics, Vol.16, (2): 541-543. [PDF]
- Marchetti, Kathleen. 2016. "Navigating the Path to Publication." State and Local Government Review Blog, Special Series on Publishing. [link]
- Marchetti, Kathleen. 2015. "How interest group advocacy is shaped by state policy environments." United States Politics and Policy Blog (USAPP), London School of Economics. [link]
- Hojnacki, Marie, Jeffrey Berry, Beth Leech, and Kathleen Marchetti. 2015. "Business doesn't always get its way." Monkey Cage Blog, Washington Post. [link]
Works in Progress
- Niebler, Sarah, Kathleen Marchetti and Thomas Kozdron. "Gubernatorial elections and coattail effects of women candidates" (Revise and Resubmit)
- Marchetti, Kathleen. "The modern legacy of Mobilizing Interest Groups in America"
- LaPira, Tim, Kathleen Marchetti and Herschel Thomas. "Pink collars in the lobbying profession"
- Hojnacki, Marie and Kathleen Marchetti. "Interest groups and social media"
- Marchetti, Kathleen and Christopher Ojeda. "A Dangerous Intersection: HIV, Race, and state-level advocacy.''