General Research Interests
I am broadly interested in issues related to interest groups, gender and politics, intersectionality and political representation. More information can be found on my Google Scholar page.
- Marchetti, Kathleen. 2021. "A Political Profile of U.S. Pagans". Politics and Religion. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/S1755048321000055 Media coverage: "Paganism, gods and goddesses aside, is the most LGBTQ-affirming faith in the US" (Religion News Service), "Pagan politics are not as uniform (or liberal) as you think" (Religion News Service), "Research examines political profile of U.S. Pagans" (The Wild Hunt)
- Marchetti, Kathleen. 2021. "The modern legacy of Mobilizing Interest Groups in America". Interest Groups & Advocacy, 10 (1): 78-84.
- Niebler, Sarah, Kathleen Marchetti and Thomas Kozdron. 2020. "Gubernatorial elections and coattail effects of women candidates". Journal of Women, Politics & Policy, 41 (3): 334-350.
- LaPira, Tim, Kathleen Marchetti and Herschel Thomas. 2020. "Gender Politics in the Lobbying Profession." Politics & Gender, 16, (3): 816-844.
- Marchetti, Kathleen. 2020. "Surveys in the Interest Group Subfield." Phil Harris, Alberto Bitonti, Craig S. Fleisher, Anne Skorkjær Binderkrantz, eds. The Palgrave Encyclopedia of Interest Groups, Lobbying and Public Affairs. Palgrave-Macmillan Press. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-13895-0_123-1
- Marchetti, Kathleen. 2019. "Intersectional advocacy and policymaking across U.S. States." Olena Hankivsky and Julia Jordan-Zachery, eds. The Palgrave Handbook of Intersectionality in Public Policy. Palgrave-Macmillan Press.
- Marchetti, Kathleen. 2018. Review of The Governors' Lobbyists: Federal-State Relations Offices and Governors Associations in Washington By Jennifer M. Jensen. Perspectives on Politics, Vol.16, (2): 541-543.
- Marchetti, Kathleen and David O'Connell. 2018. "Catholic Politicians and the Politics of Abortion Position Taking." Politics and Religion, Vol. 11 (2): 281 - 308.
- Bagozzi, Benjamin E. and Kathleen Marchetti. 2017. "Distinguishing Occasional Abstention from Routine Indifference in Models of Vote Choice." Political Science Research and Methods, Vol. 5 (2): 277-294.
- Marchetti, Kathleen. 2015. "Consider the Context: How State Policy Environments Shape Interest Group Advocacy." State and Local Government Review, Vol. 47 (3): 155-169. Media coverage: "How interest group advocacy is shaped by state policy environments" (London School of Economics USAPP)
- Marchetti, Kathleen. 2015. "The Use of Surveys in Interest Group Research." Interest Groups & Advocacy, Vol. 4 (3): 272-282
- Hojnacki, Marie; Kathleen Marchetti; Frank Baumgartner; Jeffrey Berry; David Kimball; and Beth Leech. 2015. "Assessing Business Advantage in Washington Lobbying." Interest Groups & Advocacy, Vol. 4 (3): 205-224. Media coverage: "How Influential is Business in Washington?" (The Hill); "Business doesn't always get its way" (Washington Post Monkey Cage Blog)
- Baumann, Zachary, Kathleen Marchetti, and Benjamin Soltoff. 2015. "What's the Payoff? Assessing the Efficacy of Student Response Systems." Journal of Political Science Education, Vol. 11 (3): 249-263.
- Marchetti, Kathleen. 2014. "Crossing The Intersection: The Representation Of Disadvantaged Identities In Advocacy." Politics, Groups, And Identities, Vol. 2 (1): 104-119.
- Marchetti, Kathleen. 2014. "Mission Statement: Militarized Discourses In Women's Advocacy Organizations." Gender, Place & Culture, Vol. 21 (1): 87-104.
- Lowery, David And Kathleen Marchetti. 2012. "You Don't Know Jack: Principals, Agents, And Lobbying." Interest Groups & Advocacy, Vol. 1 (2): 139-170.
- Marchetti, Kathleen. 2015. "How interest group advocacy is shaped by state policy environments." United States Politics and Policy Blog (USAPP), London School of Economics. [link]
- Hojnacki, Marie, Jeffrey Berry, Beth Leech, and Kathleen Marchetti. 2015. "Business doesn't always get its way." Monkey Cage Blog, Washington Post. [link] - Re-print in Current Debates in American Government. 2018. James Monroe and Ryan Emenaker, eds. Oxford University Press.
- Marchetti, Kathleen. 2016. "Navigating the Path to Publication." State and Local Government Review Blog, Special Series on Publishing. [link]
- Marchetti, Kathleen. 2022. “I’m a stroke survivor: The Fetterman-Oz debate shows the challenges we face.” Pennsylvania Capital-Star. [link]
- Marchetti, Kathleen. 2022. “I survived a stroke and open-heart surgery. I’m confident John Fetterman can be a senator.” PennLive. [link]
Works in Progress
- Dwidar, Maraam A., and Kathleen Marchetti. “Tribal Coalitions and Lobbying Outcomes: Evidence from Administrative Rulemaking."
(Revise and Resubmit)
- Dwidar, Maraam A., Kathleen Marchetti, and Dara Z. Strolovitch. "Organizational Leaders and Intersectional Advocacy." (Under Review)
- Marchetti, Kathleen and Sarah Niebler. "Teaching Political Science Research Methods"
- Hojnacki, Marie, Steven Morgan and Kathleen Marchetti. "Interest groups and social media"
- Strolovitch, Dara, Chaya Crowder, Maraam A. Dwidar, Ashley English, Mary Kroeger and Kathleen Marchetti. "Intersectional Advocacy and Activism in Time"
- LaPira, Tim, Kathleen Marchetti and Herschel Thomas. "Pink collars in the lobbying profession"